A.J. Lee & Blue Summit
Orchestra – $35
Mezzanine & Balcony – $25
Obstructed View – $20
AJ Lee and Blue Summit made their first appearance in Santa Cruz in 2015. Led by singer, songwriter, and mandolinist, AJ Lee, the bluegrass band has performed all over the world, but finds home in California’s Bay Area.
The latest full length project, I’ll Come Back, debuted August 2021 – with national touring in support of the record ongoing. Although falling loosely under the bluegrass label, AJLBS generally plays sans banjo, with Sullivan Tuttle and Scott Gates on steel stringed acoustic guitars, AJ on mandolin, Jan Purat on fiddle, and Forrest Marowitz on upright bass – a configuration effectively used to create unique space and texture in the arrangements not as commonly found in the music of their peers. Drawing from influences such as country, soul, swing, rock, and jam music, the band uses the lens of bluegrass as a vessel through which to express and explore the thread that binds and unifies all great music.
Awards & Honors
- NCBS Best Female Vocalist (2020, Nine-Time Winner)
- Winfield National Flatpicking Contest, 2nd Place (2019)
- Freshgrass Band Contest Winner (2019)
- NCBS Best Bluegrass Band (2020)
- NCBS Best Mandolin Player (2020)
- NCBS Best Guitar Player (2020)
- IBMA Momentum Vocalist of the Year (2019)